Wednesday 24 June 2020

Jewellery Box Upcycling

Hello! Hope you and yours are safe and well!

It's a bit of a stretch calling this part of my Furlough Furniture projects, but it is furniture, just on a very small scale!


My mum bought this for me when I was 16 (in 1976).  It's been on my dressing table and in continual use since then, despite me being someone who doesn't wear a lot of jewellery.  The water bottle is for scale!


It was looking very tired and a bit tatty.  It's not really had any TLC since 1976!!

I decided to go for multiple colours on the drawers.  They were soooo quick to paint, being so tiny!


I then decided to sand the main part of the jewellery box, aiming for a faded, natural look.


The varnish was tougher than I expected, and hand sanding wasn't quite enough.  I got out my electric sander and the drawers fell apart under the strain!


It was only glued together, so it was luckily very quick to reassemble.  I waxed the sanded wood and painted drawers, giving the whole thing a nice, smooth and hard wearing finish.



After waxing, the wooden finish came out out a bit darker than I wanted, but I think it still looks good.  The dark wood will be a nice contrast to everything else I've painted, which seems to be all white, pale blue and map prints!


I'll be happy to have this grace my dressing table in my new house!  And the dark wood of this goes really well with the natural wood finish on the dressing table.


No comments: