Tuesday 12 March 2013

Winter Sewing

I think sewing is one of the best things to do when the weather is bad.  Perhaps if I could knit or crochet, I would choose one of those as a cold-weather craft (if only for the curling-up-on-the-sofa factor) but for me sewing wins every time.  It helps that my sewing room is one of the warmest rooms in the house - although I tend to flit between the sewing room and living room as then I can have a full-size ironing board out and do my cutting on the dining table!  I do use a mini ironing table in the sewing room too (really very handy depending on the size of the project).

Let loose with the iron...

Keira (my 10-year-old sewing apprentice/granddaughter, above) has been making a tote bag with the fabric I got recently from Abakhan.  She loved the butterflies print (as I knew she would) although my favourite was the retro turquoise cotton print.

Keira was really proud of her first-ever handmade bag!
She even helped design it.

The photos are pretty dreadful - sorry! - it was an after-school project and the daylight had gone by the time we got to the photo stage.

I used some of the leftovers in a tiny project...


I wanted to leave the edges unfinished - I'm after an informal look - so I feel like it needs a wash to fray the edges before it gets its ta-dah kind of moment.  I'm thinking maybe I'll do it as a tutorial soon.

3 comments:

MadBirdDesignsUK said...

Yes sewing is a winter task for me too. I love to sit at my machine, right by my kitchen window and see the world go by. Great that you are teaching your granddaughter.

Silver Moss Jewellery said...

I love that butterfly fabric too! And love the idea of having winter crafts and projects :)

Lilly's Mom said...

Hi Wendy, your little granddaughter is adorable. What a fun project to do with her! It's lovely.