This bag is a pretty good size for a handbag/tote bag and fits all the basics in. I made sure my Kindle would fit (for me, that's probably more essential than anything!)
It has lots of pockets...
which are always useful, of course.
It 's always difficult to photograph the inside of a bag! The magnetic closure you can just see in the photo below was recycled from a tired old bag destined for the scrap heap (that could describe me as well as the bag - stop laughing! - it's really not that funny!). Magnetic closures are easy to rescue as the metal prongs holding them in place just fold out ready to be re-used.
My version has a fixed length shoulder strap, but it could be adapted to have an adjustable strap.
The fabrics I used from Abakhan were this gorgeous starry pale blue cotton (they have it in other colours too - the red looks lovely)
and the stripey ticking-style lightweight cotton for the lining
Abakhan also supplied me with a large bag of orange buttons - ideal to rummage through to find the perfect size for indicator lights. The grey buttons I used for headlights came from an old cardigan!
I also used a few scraps from my stash. The retro style floral (on the bumper, on the centre of the front wheel, and on the pockets inside) was left over from a previous Abakhan challenge - it's one of those fabrics I've used in so many projects now. It's been much more versatile than I ever imagined and seems to go with pretty much everything!
Being fabric, it's completely machine washable and I think it would make a fabulous holiday bag. Let's hope for some sunshine this summer! If you are thinking of flying to the sun instead of waiting for it to come to you (could be a wise move if you are UK-based) it's a lightweight and packable bag - or good as a cross-body bag for passports and stuff.
I'll be creating a pattern for this bag as soon as I can. It always seems to take me forever to get a pattern together, even when the bag has already been made and pattern pieces drafted, so don't hold your breath (but do please check back at some point in the semi-distant future!).
Updated to add: sorry it's taking so long to get round to making this pattern, but I'm getting started on it now (May 2014). It's all gone a bit mad recently on Pinterest and getting a lot of interest! I'm hoping the pattern will be ready in a couple of weeks - mid-June, maybe.
Thanks so much everyone for all your interest!