Thursday 30 May 2013

The Campervan Bag

This campervan bag has been a long time in the planning!  Most of that time it was simply in my head, bouncing around (as ideas do).


I've been taking part in the monthly challenge set by Abakhan where I make something for under £15 (they very kindly supply the fabrics) and this bag is part of that.  I say "monthly challenge" but it would seem my months are quite a bit further apart than anyone else's!  


This bag is a pretty good size for a handbag/tote bag and fits all the basics in.  I made sure my Kindle would fit (for me, that's probably more essential than anything!)



It has lots of pockets...


which are always useful, of course.


It 's always difficult to photograph the inside of a bag!  The magnetic closure you can just see in the photo below was recycled from a tired old bag destined for the scrap heap (that could describe me as well as the bag - stop laughing! - it's really not that funny!).  Magnetic closures are easy to rescue as the metal prongs holding them in place just fold out ready to be re-used.


My version has a fixed length shoulder strap, but it could be adapted to have an adjustable strap.

The fabrics I used from Abakhan were this gorgeous starry pale blue cotton (they have it in other colours too - the red looks lovely)



and the stripey ticking-style lightweight cotton for the lining


Abakhan also supplied me with a large bag of orange buttons - ideal to rummage through to find the perfect size for indicator lights.  The grey buttons I used for headlights came from an old cardigan!

I also used a few scraps from my stash.  The retro style floral (on the bumper, on the centre of the front wheel, and on the pockets inside) was left over from a previous Abakhan challenge - it's one of those fabrics I've used in so many projects now.  It's been much more versatile than I ever imagined and seems to go with pretty much everything!


Being fabric, it's completely machine washable and I think it would make a fabulous holiday bag.  Let's hope for some sunshine this summer!  If you are thinking of flying to the sun instead of waiting for it to come to you (could be a wise move if you are UK-based) it's a lightweight and packable bag - or good as a cross-body bag for passports and stuff.

I'll be creating a pattern for this bag as soon as I can.  It always seems to take me forever to get a pattern together, even when the bag has already been made and pattern pieces drafted, so don't hold your breath (but do please check back at some point in the semi-distant future!).


Updated to add: sorry it's taking so long to get round to making this pattern, but I'm getting started on it now (May 2014).  It's all gone a bit mad recently on Pinterest and getting a lot of interest!  I'm hoping the pattern will be ready in a couple of weeks - mid-June, maybe.

Thanks so much everyone for all your interest!

28 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fab idea! I love it. I wish I was as talented lol. Gorgeous choice of fabrics too. Sue x

Made in Suisse said...

What a cute bag, it would bring a smile on anyone's face :-)

FabricFascination said...

Such an adorable bag. We had a red VW bus when our children were little. I made checkered curtains for the windows. Such happy memories.

Gertie said...

I love it !!!

Jan Gartlan said...

Wow! Well done on such a fabulous bag. Love it!!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful bag! I love VW campers! The lining really suits it too :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful bag! I love VW campers! The lining really suits it too :)

Ali (Patchwork Fairy) said...

That looks great! -
Really special for camper van fans

martine said...

beautiful, what can I say., the detailing and finishing is immaculate

Lyn said...

It's a lovely bag and a good choice of fabrics!

Anonymous said...

I adore that bag- you are so onto a winner with that! Super!

Handbags by Helen said...

It's a bag and it has camper vans - obviously I love it!

Unknown said...

What a great bag! Beautiful fabrics, and it looks like it will be really useful. I look forward to the pattern x

Anonymous said...

I love this. You are so very clever. How do you find the time for it all?

Laura said...

I adore this! I know you said not to hold our breath for a pattern for this bag but was wondering if there may be one now after almost a year? I kind of NEED this!! :) It's beautiful.

Carol Meyer said...

So cute, do you have a pattern for it?
Would love to get it please!

Wendy said...

Yikes, sorry people! *Still* no pattern, but I realise it's wanted so I *will* get one sorted! Creating patterns was one of my priorities for 2014 and I really need to get my pattern writing act together! Please do watch this space! x

NWBlue said...

love it and cant wait for the pattern

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

I would love to get this pattern.
My daughters favorite vehicle is the v-dub van. She would be thrilled to get this one.

kathy said...

Thank you for the inspiration. I made a VW Van Bag for my niece loosely based on your bag.
http://runningwithrocket.blogspot.com/2014/08/volkswagon-van-bag.html

Anonymous said...

Any news on the bag tutorial, or is it somewhere and I just can't find it? My daughter has got the campervan bug big time and for her 10th birthday this would be great.

mamaogle said...

I just found this darling bag. Is there some where I can get the pattern?

Kathy Cawthon said...

Am dying to make this adorable bag in yellow for my 84-year old aunt who used to take all of us kids camping in her yellow VW van! Please let me know when the pattern is for sale!

Kpru said...

Me too, please!!!!

Marni @ Haberdashery Fun said...

2015- just saw this in Pinterest.. Super cute!! Great work.

uniquelyme said...

Adorable bag! Is there a pattern yet?

Anonymous said...

Is their a pattern yet?

Kpru said...

Do you have the pattern somewhere?