Sunday 8 June 2014

Handmade Monday 171

Hello and welcome to Handmade Monday!

There's been a lot of sewing this week.  First there's been a couple of cute coin purses going on...


for Sewing World magazine.  I was asked for children's designs - one for a boy and one for a girl.  These are for the September issue and I'm guessing there's a back-to-school theme in there somewhere!


I think you can probably tell from the photos what the the idea for each coin purse is!

One of the things I've been battling with for a long while is getting together the time to publish PDF sewing patterns, so for these coin purses I wrote all the instructions for the PDF at the same time as writing the magazine instructions - a time saver as some of it is just copying and pasting.  I think if I can do this in future, it will save a lot of time in the long run.  I do have to wait a while to publish the PDF though, as the magazine has to be off sale for three months before I can release the pattern.


I've also been finalising the PDF pattern for the floppy linen rabbit that was in Sewing World about 18 months ago...(where did all that time go?!)


and I realised I didn't have enough step photos, so I made the rabbit's clothes again.  With lots of photos this time!


I'm hoping to be able to get the pattern ready for publishing later this week - it's not quite ready yet but it probably only needs around 3-4 hours more work.

Quentin news

Adorable guide dog puppy Quentin has had a big week.  He got let off the lead to play in a park for the first time and behaved impeccably, coming back every time when his name was called and also when the whistle was blown (this is the same whistle he associates with food, as we use it every meal time).

I have to hold a treat at my knees when I call him back, so that he gets used to coming back and touching my knees with his nose - this contact is how a blind person can be sure he has returned.

These free running sessions are a really important part of his training, as his eventual owner needs to be able to let him off the lead to play and be sure he's going to come back!  I think it would be pretty traumatic to be blind and lose your guide dog when you are out!




He's also got his first coat and is quite happy wearing it.  So that he associates it with a positive feeling, he wore it at first just for feeds - now he wears it quite happily whenever he goes shopping!

How has your week been?  What have you been making?  To let us all know, please feel free to join us...


13 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Adore your sewing project and of course just love Quentin. He is so cute and will be the best guide dog ever. You are so blessed to be able to train him.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Chrysalis said...

Q is amazing - and growing so quickly! The purses look lovely, and the bunny is so cute - love the clothes. Have a great week, Chris x

Lilly's Mom said...

Love your coin purse design the the linen rabbits. Quentin is as cute as ever. Have a wonderful week :)

Jan said...

Quentin is coming along lovely, he's so cute.
It's surprising how quickly time has passed, I've never written a pdf pattern but it sounds a bit time consuming.
Have a great week :)
Jan x

Justjennywren said...

sewing projects are brill :) glad had good week!

Lucy Blossom said...

I love the sneaky previews of your coin purses, I'm sure they'll look fabulous in the magazine. Quentin is growing adorably, as always.

Ginx Craft said...

Quentin is such a cutie. I would not want to say goodbye.

threads 'n' shreds said...

wow such an adorable floppy bunny, makes me wish i could sew! x

Highland Monkey's said...

Whoever is Quentins new owner will fall in love with him straight away, he looks such a loveable doggie. Great makes as always.

vicky myers said...

The linen rabbit is just gorgeous:)

Free Spirit Designs said...

Aww little Quentin is quickly becoming big Quentin! He's soooo adorable and its great to hear he's doing well with his training.

I love your floppy rabbit, what little girl (or boy) wouldn't want one of these! I'm sure writing out the pattern will be worth it as its sure to be super popular :) x

Unknown said...

Your rabbit is lovely, and I love hearing Quentin news. Have a great week

Stephen said...

Your rabbit looks so sweet. Good to hear that Quentin is coming along so well. He seems to get so much bigger in each blog post.